Ahimsa lights the way
This second biennial event celebrated the best of Philly’s ever-growing, nationally renowned vegan food scene.
Thanks to all who came to the Philly Vegan Awards, either as nominees, food-sampling venues or vegan-awards enthusiasts. It was a night to remember!
The evening kicked off with vegan food tables featuring a wide variety of tasty offerings from: Atiya Ola’s Spirit First Foods; Batter & Crumbs Bakery and Cafe; Conscious Cultures Creamery; Crust Vegan Bakery; The Fairview; GoVegan Philly; LUHV Vegan Deli; Soy Café, and Vegan Chef Lenka Catering. After an hour of tasting and socializing we moved into the Friends Center’s big Meeting room.
The official mayoral proclamation of Philly Vegan Day was read by WHYY’s Jennifer Lynn, who also joined Eleni Vlachos, Richard Rogers and Christina Pirello as awards presenters. (Weavers Way donated vegan goodies as thanks to our presenters.)
The ballotted winners, as chosen by Philadelphia voters, are:
* Tastiest “Healthy” Item: Tomo Sushi and Ramen
* Best Vegan Entrée At Nonvegan Venue: Memphis Taproom – Roasted Mushroom Gyro
* Best Breakfast Treats: Dottie’s Donuts
* Biggest Increase In Vegan Options: Bourbon and Branch
* Best Midnight Snack: Triangle Tavern
* Best House-Made Burger: Luhv vegan deli
* Best Philly-Made Vegan Cheese: Conscious Cultures Creamery
* Outstanding Vegan Campaign or Event: Philly Vegan Restaurant Week
* Best New Vegan Restaurant: Go Vegan Philly
The Best Instagrammer award was a tie between Jen Collins and Christine Scalfo. Both Instagrammers have won dinner for 2 at Greyhound Cafe.
The life of vegan-food pioneer Alfoncie Austin was celebrated in a brief slideshow presentation. Last year’s lifetime achiever Rich Landau contributed a video clip to announce the Future of Food 2019 recognizing advances in vegan food from the new generation of Philly vegan chef/creators. which went to Stephen Babaki of Conscious Cultures Creamery.
Additionally, The Nile Café was honored as the longest-running vegan restaurant in Philadelphia. The Philly Vegan Awards will return in November 2021. See you then! (Photo: Robert Stolpe)
56 Dinshah Lane, P.O. Box 369, Malaga NJ 08328 856.694.2887
Copyright © 1960 -2021
AVS is a registered 501(c)3 organization, EIN 226058533. All donations made to the American Vegan Society are tax deductible.